Regular Meeting - October 11, 2011


Regular Meeting                               October 11, 2011

Crow Wing Town Hall                     6:00 p.m.

Board Members Present:  Chairman Mark Platta, Supervisors Greg Smith and Dave Schultz and Clerk Virginia Rogers and Treasurer Susan Goodew.

Mark called the meeting to order and the pledge to the flag was recited.

Norman Roscoe had presented 44 pair of gopher bounties for a total of $66.

Wade Miller, Area Trails Supervisor with MN DNR was present to discuss the proposed continuation of the Paul Bunyan Trail to Crow Wing State Park. A portion of the trail would be constructed in the right of way of Brandon Way. They are requesting the town board’s agreement with this route, although it may not be the final route chosen.  A map of the proposed route was reviewed.

Mark made a motion to support the agreement, assuming that the right of way that we have allows for it. The motion was seconded by Greg and passed unanimously.

Chad Scwendeman was present to request that the township take over Catherine’s Way and Libby Lane. It was determined that Catherine’s Way will be accepted due to a previous agreement with Navillus Land Company who completed and paved the road all the way through to connect with 50th Ave. Libby Lane has only one home on it, so it does not meet the construction requirement. Since the road was put in by Navillus, Mike Sullivan should make the official request. Dave asked who is responsible for the needed repairs. It was discussed that the board would have taken the road over much sooner had a request been received. Greg made a motion to pass the attached resolution, which will be signed as soon as a request from Mike Sullivan is received and to repair Catherine’s Way. The motion was seconded by Mark and passed unanimously.  Chad called Mike Sullivan, who made his request to the board by phone.

Wade Tomberlin was present to discuss the violation on his property. His outhouse has been approved and he stated that reports that more debris is being hauled in are false and that he has done everything he was asked to do. Brad will be asked to inspect the property and if no violation exists, the property will be removed from the violation list. If there is still a violation, all future expenses will be billed to the property owner. Wade was asked if he has titles for all vehicles on the property and he stated that he does and will have them available for Brad when he makes his inspection.

Rob Anthony and Wendy Keeler were present to discuss the violation on their property. Information on the salvage yard was reviewed including the fact that the county has been receiving a fee from them each year but have stated that it is not a junk salvage permit fee. Rob stated that they plan to have trees planted next spring to screen the property and he would like to remove the fence. The ordinance will need to be reviewed to determine if this is acceptable and Rob will continue to work on the fence. Rob asked for a couple of extra weeks to get the fence finished. Greg said that he didn’t know if patching the fence will enable it to meet the fencing standards. Justin will be asked to look into the fencing versus screening issue and to clarify to Rob what the ordinance requires for a salvage yard, including a copy of the portion of the ordinance that addresses them.  They will attend the next meeting to discuss it further.

Martin Copa was present to discuss the manufactured home on the Sullivan property, formerly belonging to this brother Marvin. Instead of dismantling the trailer, he would like to live in it during the winter while he works on his own house. It was determined that this decision would be up to Mike Sullivan as owner of the property. Having the house on the property is not a violation, but the owner of the property must determine how long the structure can remain. Greg offered to call Mike and ask him to make a decision on the matter. Martin was reminded that removing the structure was part of the agreement for cleanup and he should plan to dismantle and remove it as soon as possible but at least by next spring. He was also reminded that he can continue to live in the home only with Mike’s approval.

Curt Engholm was not present to discuss his violation. The inspection will be on October 25th at the beginning of the regular board meeting, as previously planned.

A request to raise a pair of gravestones that are sinking into the ground at the cemetery had been received. It was determined that we should bring this issue up at the annual meeting to get input on how these and other similar issues at the cemetery should be funded. The people will be asked whether or not they would like to see general fund money spent, form a volunteer committee to raise funds or other ideas.

The cul de sac on the end of Town Hall Street was discussed. There is 130 feet of right of way and this extends 35 feet onto the Hanson’s driveway. There should be plenty of room for the bus to be pulled in and back up for turning all within the right of way that the township has. Dave will meet with the school district transportation people and will put stakes up on the driveway where the right of way ends.

Susie gave the treasurer’s report and claims were approved.

The minutes of the September 27th meeting were reviewed. Greg made a motion to accept the minutes as written. The motion was seconded by Dave and passed unanimously.

Claims were approved and paid.

Dave gave the road report. It was decided that the current method of snowplowing will be continued without setting a formal plowing policy.

Claims were paid and correspondence was reviewed.

The meeting adjourned by general consent at 9:00 p.m.

Enter content here

Enter content here

Enter content here

Enter supporting content here